The PhD in Development Studies (DVST) is a problem-oriented, holistic field of study utilizing inter-, cross-, multi-, and transdisciplinary approaches.
With applied social sciences as the loci of disciplines, combined with various technical fields, DVST tackles development issues such as food security, natural resource management, population, gender and development, and agrarian and rural development—areas that will support the distinctive excellence of UPLB in agriculture, forestry and the environment.
DVST prepares graduates to view the world in a more integrative manner.
Areas of Specialization
- Agriculture, Food and Nutrition Security (AFNS)
- Agrarian and Rural Development Studies (ARDS)
- Education and Development (ED)
- Natural Resource Management (NRM)
- Population, Gender and Development Studies (PGDS)
- Articulate systems thinking and apply this to development issues;
- Explain development theories and frameworks and apply these to development planning and governance;
- Analyze power relations;
- Integrate basic and applied sciences and the technical and social dimensions of development issues;
- Plan, implement, monitor and evaluate development programs and processes;
- Conduct development-oriented research;
- Generate practice-informed theories on development issues; and
- Demonstrate ethics and values of development practice.
Applicants to the program must:
- Have a Masters degree or a Master of Science degree in the Social Sciences or related fields;
- Be a development practitioner, with at least two years experience in development work or development research;
- Must have a development research problem proposal upon application.
- Core courses (12 units)
- Area of specialization (12 units)
- Cognate courses (12 units)
- Graduate seminar (1 unit)
- Dissertation (12 units)
CORE & SPECIALIZATION COURSES
DR. EVELIE P. SERRANO
Director, Institute for Governance and Rural Development
College of Public Affairs and Development
Domingo M. Lantican Avenue, University of the Philippines Los Baños
College, 4031 Laguna, Philippines